P2 Thesis statements
Paper 2 essays should include a thesis statement at the end of the introductory paragraph. What should Paper 2 thesis statements look like? What is their function?
- Read the following example thesis statements. What do they all have in common?
- The authors both use a disjointed and non-linear narration to show readers how soldiers remember, experience and suffer from the horrors of war.
- A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams and A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen both use stage directions, music and symbolism in order to construct their social commentary and convey their feminist message.
- Although The Tempest is a play written in the early days of colonialism and Disgrace is a novel written in a post-colonial, post-Apartheid South Africa, the works explore the theme of injustice through point-of-view, symbolism and motif. The authors show the importance of reconciliation and love as means of overcoming injustices.
- Once you have decided on a which question you will answer for your Paper 2 essay, you can construct a thesis statement, as an answer to the exam question. Try writing a thesis statement that answers an exam question in relation to two works that you have read.
- Once you have articulated a thesis statement, you can begin to organise your essay around it. To get a clearer picture of your essay, and the examples that you will include, create an outline or a mind map like the one below.
Three thesis statements from Paper 2 essays
Last modified: Monday, 20 January 2020, 2:18 PM