12.1 Unit planner
Here is an overview of this unit: Culture and wellbeing.
- The key concepts for this unit are culture, identity and transformation.
- Related concepts for this unit include wellbeing and technology.
- The purpose of this unit is to understand how social and cultural pressures have adverse effects on individuals' mental health.
- The learning has been contextualised by exploring the effects of the global pandemic and technology on people's mental health.
Lines of inquiry
- In what ways can the language of film, comedy, poetry and song lyrics express people's darkest feelings? (factual)
- What is culture? How do cultural constructs affect people's mental health? (conceptual)
- To what extent are increasing rates of mental health issues caused by technology, culture or unrealistic societal expectations? (debatable)
- We aim to develop an understanding of and appreciation for the language of poetry, comedy, song lyrics and film.
- We aim to develop speaking and analytical skills.
- We aim to become better global citizens, through an exploration of different cultures, communities and histories.
- Portfolio activities 5.1 Under pressure (3-4 weeks SL/HL)
- Portfolio activities 5.2 This dark thing (3-4 weeks SL/HL)
- Mock individual oral (1 week)
- Mock Individual Oral (SL/HL)
Last modified: Saturday, 8 October 2022, 2:21 PM